Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Catching Up

Wow....time sure does fly!  I can't believe it has been two months since I posted last. 

First, I did go to confession.  I emailed Father Rick and set up a time with him on a Saturday afternoon.  I walked into that little room, sat down, and spent 45 minutes talking with him.  It was some of the best 'therapy' I have ever had in my life.  One of the most important things we talked about was this: I asked him, "why do we as catholics have confession?  If Jesus died to save us from our sins, why confess?'  I don't remember Father's exact words, but the message I took away was this: Jesus did die to save us from our sins.  Confession is a celebration of sorts that we are saved.  And yet it is also a way to say, I am not taking what Jesus did for me lightly and I want to try and do better.  I want to try and do something meaningful to move my spirit closer to Jesus--aka penance.  It is not 'I was naughty, what is my punishment.'  It made a lot of sense in my heart. 

I am not going to list my confessions or state what my penance was, but I will say this: it was meaningful on a spiritual level.  It did help me to grow in my faith.  And that, in my opinion, IS what confession is trying to teach me.

Second, we did renew our wedding vows in the church.  Most of our family members were there.  It was a small gathering after Saturday evening's first mass.  It was brief, but provided my heart with a calm reassurance that I can not quite put into words. 

I am hoping to take the next step in my faith journey and work towards confirmation.  Classes start in September and meet weekly.  More to come on that front as the time nears :)

Kim is still in my thoughts and heart on a regular basis.  I can feel her presence at times, usually when I am outside playing with the kids.  Rather fitting as she loved her girls and being a mother.  I say hi when I feel her near and thank her for stopping by.

Overall, something in me is changing.  I can not say exactly what it is, but when the day has quieted and I am left with my thoughts, I can feel myself changing.  It is a strong, calm feeling that comes from somewhere deep inside of me.  I am not sure what it is just yet, but I can not wait to find out!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you have found peace my friend. this makes my heart happy. :o)

    ReplyDelete